RSS Feed

If Bees Disappear, Humans Will Not Survive

7

June 9, 2014 by Aleksandra Łuczak

This post has been prepared by Magdalena Bartosińska from Kozminski University

Albert Einstein said “If honey bees disappear, humans will survive no longer than four years”. Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) are syndrome symptoms of a disease which affects honey bees (Apis mellifera) – especially adult workers. It causes big losses in bee colonies, as Polish beekeepers say, also in Poland. Nowadays it is uncertain which factors really cause such losses. These can be pesticides, pathogens, parasites, environmental changes, malnutrition of bees,  antibiotics, GMO’s cultivations etc. or, which is most probable – combination of such elements.

The name of this phenomenon we owe to the Americans, who named this kind of syndrome as CCD in 2006 .

Because of the fact that bees play an important role in pollination of plants, many surveys were carried out by scientists to explain what causes such losses and how to eliminate this unfavorable phenomenon. European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) which launched many reports, opinions, guidance documents, risk assessments and statements concerning this issue plays an especially important role in such undertakings.

Poland is also involved. Since 2012 in lubelskie region a special program is implemented to obtain data concerning infectious diseases, which may occur in bee colonies. This program was entered into force by two special Council of Ministers Orders and is co-financed by public funds coming from the European Union budget.  Poland is one of 17 Member States which conduct such activity. After the end of data collecting by the involved Member States, ANSES (European Reference Laboratory for Bee Health localized in France) will examine the data, and elaborate the conclusions which will be sent to the European Commission.

Do you think that such activity contributes to the explanation what is the major factor causing above mentioned phenomenon?

Have your say!

7 comments »

1. LukaszK says:

I think that this indeed is a major problem. Probably each part of ecosystem is important and plays its role in it. Insects like bees pollinate plants which create oxygen. It is a critical factor of human body’s functioning. I assume that Einstein’s thesis is truly genuine.
    I’m glad to hear that appropriate organisations have taken steps to do something with this cause. Hopefully they will come up with constructive concluions and execute them.

2. Mateusz Zych says:

Since it was reported that the bees are dying, and this may result in the extinction of humanity it seems to me that the action taken by the European Union is a good decision. Bees are a much needed part of the ecosystem because, for instance, they are needed to fertilize plants, to produce honey, etc. Actually, people enjoy prosperity which gives them the nature, for example, trees transformed into paper. The question is what humanity will do when the nature runs out.

3. WojciechK says:

Altough I consider the action taken by European Union as good, I think that it has been made way to late. As for now, what Poland and other countries are doing is nothing more than trying to find the cure. This particular process should’ve started years ago, so we may know the right treatment in this moment. Surveying is of course necessary, I just don’t understand why haven’t we started it earlier. I hope that the solution will come up soon.

4. Dominika Pasja says:

I think that the phenomenon presented in the article is a serious problem which is usually underestimated by the societies. Nowadays people take care of environment by taking various steps but they forget about the role which bees play in our lives. Bees are the base of the ecosystem without which the world will no longer work properly. It is high time for the governments to take such steps aiming at protection of bees. In my opinion that kind of action should be the basic activity of the governments concerning the environmental protection. The governments should also present this problem to the public and teach people how they can protect bees. Summing up, I agree with the Albert Einstein’s theory and I support the governments’ activities.

5. Mateusz Szulc says:

Every problem with the ecosystem is global and we all should participate in programs that are made to save ecosystem. We don’t really know what would happen if bees went extinct. Scientist say that it would be a dawn of our whole planet but we don’t really know if nature isn’t preparing for it by evolving all the time. It is well know that every evolution takes thousands of years, but we don’t know if it isn’t already preparing for this situation being aware of the global “bee problem”?

6. Mateusz Bodio says:

As far as I am concerned, as Mateusz Szulc said, “bee problem” is a very dangerous matter. Many surveys and studies show us, that bees are very important for people. Moreover, society is still unconsious about matter of a problem. Fortunately, countries and many NGOs are involved in actions to save bees’ enviroment. Sadly, extinction of bees continues. I think, we could all save them in a simple way. When yellow insect flies into our appartment, instead of killing it, try to catch it (for instance in a jar) and thEn release it . Such small steps followed repeatedly by millions could definitely save a few per cent of them.

7. Ola CE says:

I guess I will not be original, referring to the popular animated film. Since I am a huge fan of natural honey every year in the fall I buy a few jars. Previous winter was very sad for me because I had to survive without it. My grandfather’s friend’s passion is beekeeping so he was my private source of honey. He is the owner of 20 hives. What was his surprise when last year from day to day all bees disappeared? There was no sign of them. In my opinion the situation could become critical. People can not replace the work of bees. We can not mechanically transfer the pollen on such a scale. I am also aware that this action is the basis of life on earth, so I hope that we discover the reason for the lack of bees.