RSS Feed

Trainee – Person for Dirty Work

6

July 4, 2014 by Aleksandra Łuczak

This post has been prepared by Aleksandra Burian from Kozminski University

Learning of new profession or a cheap workforce? Before the holidays many employers are looking for new employees. But most of them want to employ a trainee. Why? Because they often have to work for free. Employers exploit them to do “dirty work”. This is cheaper and more comfortable. Trainees accept this because everyone does it and this is usual. They are ready to work in this way to realise their aim in concrete company. Of course, every apprenticeship is valuable. It is the best way to test a new job. It’s like test drive- you liked it or not.

There are many free or better paid job offers. So everyone should choose the type of work which fits his/her needs. You should think about your personal goals and choose cleverly the employer who will give you a job. It has influence on quality of the apprenticeship. You must determine that you will be working under some conditions, but it will be give and take agreement and you will have the opportunity to learn something so you won’t say that you made a coffee and copied all the time in a company.

To sum up, if the apprenticeship isn’t suitable for you, you should do something with that. First of all, it is worth to talk with a person who was recruiting. You can ask what projects you can make or what you can do at all. Honestly, just before an apprenticeship you should think about what the company can offer to you.
So you should ask these questions: what’s the point of my apprenticeship? What will it give to me? When a trainee will have answers for this, it will be easier to him/her to talk with a potential employer about his/her expectations. What are your experiences with jobs? Do you have the same opinion as me?

Come on! Have your say!

6 comments »

1. CezaryH says:

I agree with You.
    After dozen of years being forced to learn specifed matter in constrained educational path you should choose job, that suits you. This will be probably the first important decision in your adult life and will effect on your future decision and on your approach. Of course, you cannot forget about your aim, for what you decided to work in a company.
    Keep patient and follow your rules.

2. Bartłomiej Niedźwiedzki says:

I am a person, that likes to try everything, check by myself how it looks from my perspective. That is why I think that this short time apprenticeship are something good. On the other hand we shouldn’t agree to work for free. I know that CV is a very important, but when there is no money involve, you can be sure you will be doing “dirty work”.

3. Mateusz Bodio says:

We live in a different world than a few years ago, where only a few people hold master’s degree. Most of us are asking ourselves: “what my future career will be like?” There is a simple answer: you can become an entrepreneur or a full-time employee. Both possibilities are not easy to achieve if you want a “big career” but it’s simple that you need a wide range of experience instead of knowledge and university certificate. That’s why I think, it is very important to take as many internships as possible. I totally agree with the author of this article – if he or she issues the commands to copy things or make coffee for everyone, you should talk to your supervisor to change this habits or you should leave if it doesn’t suit you.

4. Ola CE says:

Ech.. in my opinion it is some king od compromise. Now I am working, for a very symbolic wage, but for me the most valuable is the experience I am gaining every day. I do understand that everyone want’s to be a billionaire from the first salary but in this case we need some more patience ☺ On the other hand, as a recruiter I can meet thousands of people declaring the will of work, but without any experience (even gained for free) for me it is completely worthless. The good site of such apprenticeship is that we can try if we like the job, and also if we are suitable to it. Maybe there is some problem with the obligation of attending the practice? If it is known that it is student’s just an obligation they are easy prey for use. On the other hand I have completely no idea how to exercise the control over it. Maybe it would be easier for universities to have some kind of cooperation with certified companies? It is just an idea.

5. MICHAL says:

I have been working since i was 16 and what i found out is the fact you have master degree or you have finished the best school means nothing in the real world. I have met so many people after great universities, they theoretical knowledge was amazing but practical skills were terrible. I do understand why companies want to employ trainee. It is safe, and the company don’t have to worry that they will sign a contract with someone who is completely not ready and suitable for the job. And if you are really good they will change your status from trainee to a normal employee with wage.

6. Angelika says:

Trainee first of all should learn the profession and explore the rules related to the operation of the work environment . For this reason, people on placement are not responsible employees, to which you want to make any decisions. They are only students. Of course the very great advantage of internship is an opportunity to gain professional experience, which is very important for people who have completed their studies, but have not yet taken any professional work. The employer shall not decide on hiring people who do not have any preparation, because it is associated with the necessity of learning, which in turn is associated with extra time and costs.