RSS Feed

The Crown Ambivalence  

1

January 28, 2021 by Aleksandra Łuczak

Author: Kate Wnek   

The British monarchy is one of the longest-ruling in the world. The succession, in this case, has been uninterrupted for 10 centuries, starting with William the Conqueror and ending with the reigning Elizabeth II. The British crown is a symbol not only of the power received by the person who holds it but also something more: it symbolizes stability, unshakable wealth and the power built up over the centuries by the United Kingdom. Because of that person who has a crown on his or her head is more presume like living sculpture than a real person. This phenomenon makes the life really tough and it touches not only the queen it also touches people above her. This ambivalence between how people presume Royals life and reality is one of the main leading thoughts in Netflix series titled The Crown. 

The four-season series with the biographies of Queen Elizabeth II shows how much of liberation is the responsibility received with the crown. Many times in the series, we can see many controversial scenes showing that being a member of the royal family is not a fairy tale at all, sometimes it is even a horror. After the release of the fourth season, showing among other stories of princess Diana, this dispute took on particular significance. British minister of culture Oliver Dowden appealed to Netflix to describe the series as a fictional story because the scale of the problems that the series shows may harm the image of the monarchy. 

In my opinion, this situation is really fascinating. Since decades the royal family was presumed by public opinion as icons because of their status and money. Series which shows their life stories in a realistic way cannot just avoid suffering frustration and difficulties in life because those things make their life somehow normal and create a connection with the average citizen. The standard of living of the royal family is so far off the average that it is why really important is to understand their problems because paradoxically, it is problems that make them closer to an ordinary person and thus benefit them 

I wonder if the last season of The Crown caused you a similar reflection? Share your opinion in the comments 🙂  

Have your say!   

1 comment »

1. Viktoryia Sushkevich says:

I liked the series ‘The Crown’. But not as a eulogy to the most expensive monarchical dynasty in the world, but as a frank and very detailed exposé of its meaninglessness. There are exposés with elements of frank satire in the series. But due to the fact that the queen liked the show, we can assume that it is true. From the show we learned that the main thing in the ‘activities’ of the monarch – the ability to listen and be silent. I think that’s a very dubious pleasure.

What really struck me was the reality of what was happening. I’m not a connoisseur of history and I didn’t really get into the nuances of British politics, but after the show the structure of their government became clearer to me.
    The show is very interesting and worth everyone’s attention.