RSS Feed

British woman ‘arrested in Dubai after being raped’

7

January 14, 2010 by Aleksandra Łuczak

Found on: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/

A British woman who alleged that she was raped in Dubai on New Year’s Eve has had her passport confiscated and may face a jail sentence after she was charged with having sex outside marriage with her fiancé.

The 23-year-old woman, a Muslim from London, of Pakistani origin, said that she was attacked by a man who is understood to be a worker in the hotel where she had been drinking with her fiancé to celebrate their engagement during a three-day holiday in Dubai.

When she reported to the police that she had been raped, she and her partner, 44, were themselves jailed for sex outside marriage, which is illegal under the emirate’s laws. Unmarried couples are not allowed to share hotel rooms or live together, although many establishments turn a blind eye. The couple were also charged with being drunk outside licensed premises.

The woman has been advised to drop the rape allegation, admit that she was drunk and marry her fiancé immediately if she wants to go home. She told The Sun: “I always dreamed of a big family wedding in Britain, but now I just want to get married so I can get out of here.”

Read the whole article here.

Isn’t the Muslim law shocking to you?
Have your say!

7 comments »

1. Adrianna says:

Firstly, I do not understand why he raped her if sex before marriage is forbidden?
    Another thing…
    It is incomprehensible for me how you can arrest someone for sharing a room with her fiance? It does not make any sense. In my opinion law should not apply for such intimate areas of human life. This example only shows how stringent is the Muslim law.

2. Lukas P says:

When I read this artcile I was really shocked. For me as a human it’s an obvious unjuste, but on the other hand i’m a lawyer and I understand their attitude. Muslims base their law on religion and history, thats the reason why it’s so restrictive. Everyone who is planning to visit Muslim countries should know basic rights and duties of Muslim citizen, ’cause when we are in their country we’re obligated to keeping the law. Latin maxim says :ignorance of the law harms.

3. Monika.K says:

After I read the article I was shocked and surprised. I have never heard about such an absurd. Of course I understand that every country has different laws and Arabic countries were always very conservative, but this case is too much. That poor woman was raped and police arrested her because she shared room with her fiancé. Something is wrong with those people in Dubai…

I always wanted to see Dubai, but now I will think twice before I even look at that part of our globe
    Air port scanner:

Some time ago I heard about those scanners but I did not realize that they have been already implemented. In my opinion security on the airport is the top priority. Many people could think that it is unethical to let airport security see what is under our clothes. But I am asking myself what is better to be scanned by that device or to think that airplane in which you are flying might be blow up by some fanatic.

4. fkop says:

I would not called it shocking. Just stupid and wrong. I just cant imagine how such situations can happen in 21st century. I do belive that peoples should respect other culture and law. But i cant agree with law like this. I do not want to sound too aggressive, but when im reading such articles I do agrees with every single war started against Muslims. And when I say Muslims I dont mean normal peoples who have their rights to their own religion. I mean people who do not respect human rights and are using religion as justification for their violence.

5. Gosia says:

I agree with “fkop” it is hard to believe situations of this type still are happening in 21st century. For Europeans accustomed to broad civil liberties the problem of this woman could seem simply unreal. Muslim law allows for the inhuman treatment and intimidating citizens causes, which instead of to stand up for one’s rights the ones to which they are applying are approving rights binding them since many years. They don’t probably realize, that if only tried to change something they could have better live. In my opinion the law should as soon as possible be fitted to European standards in order to prevent similar problems like the situation of the British woman.

6. ssjrpz says:

This whole situation is a joke, I do not agree with what has happened, the police should pursue a criminal and not victim

7. MGromek says:

Wow. This is the only comment that came to my mind after reading this. How can we arrest a women who has been raped? Arrest her for having sex outside marriage? It is really… ‘strange’. But on the other hand this is normal for the people living in emirates. They all know their law and they know what to do or what is forbidden. If something like that has happened in European countries then we could call it disgusting.
    The only thing that we can do is not letting this stupid law from Emirates come to Europe.