RSS Feed

Airport Body Scanners

10

February 5, 2010 by Aleksandra Łuczak

Found on BBC

This week UK airports began using body scanners to screen passengers as part of new security measures. Have you been affected?

The measure follows the attempted bombing of a US airliner on Christmas Day. A Nigerian man who was on the Amsterdam-Detroit flight has been charged with attempted murder.

Members of the European Parliament are divided over airport scanners – and on 10 February MEPs will debate the issue. Some MEPs have raised concerns about passengers’ privacy and health.

Italy and the Netherlands, as well as the UK, have brought in scanners for US-bound flights. But other countries, including Belgium and Spain, say they will wait for a joint EU position on their use.

The BBC News website would like to hear from people living in Europe to get their views on airport scanners. Have you been through one? Do you think they are too intrusive? Or are they a necessary security precaution?

Have your say!

10 comments »

1. Wojtek says:

In my opinion this’s great idea, safety in the first time.Maybe you’ll stay a bit longer in queue but after that you will be certain sure that non of the terrorist travel with you.:)I’m sure the cost of this “toys” are expensive so in our airport will appear in long future.I’ll find out about this body scanners this Summer when i go to London again:)

2. Karol says:

Uthink there are a lot of different type of security measures and scaners are unnecessary in the airport. It also injuring human’s right. And the most important thing is that it can be bad for your health.

3. Paweł S says:

I think that nowadays people pose a risk to security of other people without any problem. That kind of behaviour are more than often, so why we shouldn’t introduce securing like body scanner?? We hope that pictures from the scanner stay in the base of airport:)

4. Gosia R. says:

Using of airport body scanners should be obligated in all airports across the world. Equipment like this is very usefull because it can prevents terrorist attacks. As everybody knows situations like that are more often nowadays. It can increase level of security during all flights in all airlines. Furthermore airport body scanners should also be use by Polish airports.

5. G. says:

The right to privacy! I don’t agree that for our security whe sholud be scanned, go through pyrotechnics control, take off belts, watches, shoes, etc. It’s encroach on my liberty and I’m saying firmly NO! It’s a paranoia, when I can’t take some drinks with me on board. So, no for all this rubbish!

6. Kajetan K. says:

Body scanners are OK for me if they really do not have any negative effect on health of course. Security is quite importent issue in in-the-air traveling nowdays. I wonder if the additional sequrity check will slower control at the airport. I hope not. If scanners will increase security I fully agree with idea of using it in every airport.

7. Marta K says:

In my opinion body scanners are the best way to improve security at the airports. On the other hand for some people it can be a kind of braking their privacy but it is a small price to pay for better security.I think that body scanners should be on every airport becouse it could prevent smuggling and many other unpleasent situations.

8. Ewelina Sz says:

in my opinion body scanners are good way to improve security systems. I’ve heard that this scanner is totally safe but maybe we should be more careful about that… Maybe it should be use only in special cases or if someone is somehow suspected for having illegal things after the regular check. There was a case that the employee who led this scanner peeps his friend for fun using this scanner. So maybe they should choose the employees more wisely?

9. Martyna Ł says:

In my opinion body scanners are too intrusive. This is an example of trespass on sb’s privacy. I think that they are unncesary security precaution. If airports will use body scanners, terrorists will find a new way to get the bomb to the airplane. This security precaution won’t stop them.

10. MichalN says:

In my opinion body scanners are too intrusive. I understand that after 09.11 reign peculiar psychosis about bomb attack but we can’t to go to extremes. Airports in Europe are secured enough and we don’t need somethig which can affect bad on our health. Besides i think it’s limitation of rights.