RSS Feed

John Godson: Partnerships are Unnecessary

14

February 22, 2013 by Aleksandra Łuczak

This post has been prepared by Wojtek Kokot,

law student from Kozminski Univeristy

John Godson, a member of Civic Platform party, considered “creating a new institution between marriage and partnership” as “unnecessary”. By the “new institution” Godson was referring to the statute about partnerships, which has been rejected by the Parliament on Friday, 25.01.

The deputy thinks that partnerships are dangerous for a family model. “Creating a new institution, which one the one hand will guarantee many privileges but on the other does not impose any duties, may destroy the model of the family.” He also considers partnerships as “an attempt to legalize homosexual relationships and homosexual adoptions”.

Do you agree with Mr. Godson’s point of view?

Have your say!

Source:http://www.tvn24.pl/wiadomosci-z-kraju,3/instytucja-posrednia-miedzy-malzenstwem-a-wolnym-zwiazkiem-niepotrzebna,302793.html

14 comments »

1. Kate M says:

Hello,
    first of all want to point out that until now I liked Mr Godson statements. I understand the arguments and concerns relating to the Civil Partnership Act, however, I have different opinion. I think that such a solution is needed. Not everyone has the need of marriage and related legal solutions. I’m not saying this is good, but everyone should have the right to choose. The idea of ​​partnerships is just as important for homosexuals and heterosexuals, especially on issues related to wills and illness of a beloved one. On the other hand I do not think that another, more drastic moves as allowing adoptions by homosexual people are a good option. Although sometimes I wonder what it would be better for the child – homosexual parents or pathological parents.

2. Sylwia D says:

At first I wanted to say that I agree with Kate M.
    Everyone should have a right to choose between marriage and partnership. No matter if the couples are homosexuals or heterosexuals.
    If it is about the adoption, I think the most important is the child’s good, where he/she would feel better and have what is needed.
    Homosexual parents should be allowed to adopt a child .- It still would be better for child than living in a pathological family.

3. annaanna says:

It is clear that regardless of idea always some people will be “for” and others “against”. Regardless of the views of everyone is entitled to happiness. Regardless of whether the couple is heterosexual or homosexual everyone wants to have an equal right to live in a relationship. Although the couple live together for many years do not always want to get married. Partnerships have been set up would give more rights to people who are in love but who are not married to the law remain strangers. The possibility of adopting children in same-sex pairs is indicated. If parents are able to love their children and are able to provide him with all he needs is why you can not let this happen to them? In Poland, many people have about this objekcje but in the world such a system works. We need to open our society to the world.

4. uwzetka says:

It’s shocking how people in Poland hate otherness. That is the fear about something they don’t know. Nothing else. I don’t mind two women living together. I know women who are in relationship, raising a child. For ‘catholics’ this is something horrible, something they cannot understand, something bad.
    These women’s home is hundred times happier than home where mum and dad hate each other.
    I think both homosexuals and heterosexuals should have the same rights. They should live in legal relationships.

5. MGromek says:

Like almost everything in our country it came to the religion. ‘Duties in the family’ and ‘homosexual relationships are bad’ are nothing nothing different but making this situation religious.
    I don’t have an opinion about this but if I have to choose I would said ‘yes’ to the partnerships. Because I don’t know why say ‘no’. If people want to live in partnerships that why do we have to make it harder for them? Or even illegal? I just don’t understand it.

6. Mateusz Zych says:

I agree with Mr. John Godson’s point of view. Partnerships are unnecessary. I also agree with the attitude that partnerships may lead to attempt to legalize homosexual relationships and homosexual adoptions. I have nothing to homosexual people and couples but the only thought that such couples could adopt children and then raise them makes me sick. Later from the homosexual partnerships child becomes distorted even though gay couples deny. I think it is normal as straight couples are together for a few years or a few months and then decide to get married. This order of things should be kept.

7. Karolina says:

In France exist institution such as partnership. It was created mostly for homosexuals, but a lot of heterosexual couples are in this partnership. Mainly difference between partnership and mariage is that it’s a contract which can be breach anytime, by any party and without the other parties agreement. In my opinion it’s necessery, because these days where there are a lot of couple who have different religious and don’t want to go through dvorce which is never easy and nice, can sign this partnership contract and be noted as couple by law. This means getting information about you loved ones in hospitals, adopting a child or getting money after your partner dies without testament. It’s not ruining the model of tipical christian family – it’s just alternative for people, in whose life God is not on a first place.

8. Rafał says:

I totally agree with Mr.Godson’s statement. Partnerhips are unnecessary and in my opinion can lead to situation when homosexual relationships and homosexual adoptions will be legal.
    Partnership takes everything what is the most convenient in marriage e.g. joint settlement of taxes. But it doesn’t “imposed any duties” like Mr.Godson said.
    Maybe, I could change my opinion precisely about partnerships, but I know that it’s an opportunity for homosexual lobby to legalize homo marriages and homo adoptions, and I will never accept that.

9. mariola says:

I completely disagree Mr. Godson. Everyone has the right to live as he wants. Nobody has the right to decide who chooses what yourself partner! It’s all a personal decision! Another issue is the adoption of children by homosexual couples. In this case I am against it. The child is not able to assess the situation when both parents are of the same sex

10. Ania M says:

I strongly disagree with Mr. Godson’s statement. I am sure that his opinion is coming from Catholicism. Namely, according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church a family is defined as : “A man and woman united in marriage, together with their children, form a family”. This is way, most Poles cannot imagine two men or two women in legal relationship with all rights that married people have, i.e. adopting a child, getting information in hospital or inheriting from your partner after his/her death. Although, partnerships are necessary, not only for homosexuals, but also for heterosexuals who cohabitate. The potential homosexuals’ right to adopt a child has the most opponent, but it should be noted that such family is as good as the “normal” one and of course much better than pathological family or none.

11. Piotr ZzZ says:

I 100% agree with Kasia M, also I 100% disagree with Mr. Godson’s point of view (*God’s son ? wow now I know why it even came to this*), as far as I know we live in world with freedom of speech , religion, thoughts etc.. and privacy around our private life, right? In my opinion there is nothing wrong or UNNATURAL (private opinion) in homosexual couples or adopting children by homosexual couples ( I think that my good friend Elton John would agree with that.) It is called an evolution of society, people grow more inteligent and tolerant towards other people,events, situations, because He/She has more knowledge about them thanks to history and science, actually if not for the evolution Mr. Godson would still be probably working on some cotton farm in America or Europe with no rights what so ever, now because his dear friend Abraham Lincol was against the slavery , also after some next events he (thanks to GOD) can now do,say,believe and marry whatever/whoever he wants, the same goes for women before the twenties of the previous century. Women where treated as a low lifes (why? because of some stupid stereotypes and really stupid men). Today for no reason homosexuals are treated as low lifes. 650 species have homosexual entities BUT only one have this ugly disease called homophobia , yeah you know them well thats humans.

12. Piotr ZzZ says:

Damn I accidently clicked enter :<, so after this whole moral and ethical poem, I think that partenrships in Polish legal system should have a solid regulation. Regulation that will help people that hmm.. maybe don't want to be married for several reasons and on the other hand wants their reletionship to be legal , legaly binding and I'm not talking only about homosexual couples no. I have a feeling that Mr. Godson and some other "saints" only talk about partnerships as a homosexual couples which is actually not true at all. I also do not think that partnerships are in ANY way dangerous or harmful for a "traditional" family model. Now these days there is not a SINGLE day that we would not hear in the news of any kind that some drunk, stupid etc… parent just killed, hit or harmed in any way his/her child. I think that Mr. Godson is blind and do not see those situations. I do not agree with this at all but I know that it will never change and that is in Poland if you want to drive a car u NEED a license , simple, if you want to have a gun (for safety reasons only ofc.) you need a license (and even a couple more things) and if you want to have a child you just (eh.) do it, (you dont need it (a license) and in my opinion you should have a license for a child) every idiot can do that , and then we hear that a child was left in the trash, thrown out the window , burned, etc… lets think of a child for a second and not Mr. Godsons zero worth feelings, is it better for a child to be in a lovely family (no metter the sexual orientation) or in a traditional family with executioner waiting around the corner for years or until something happends.

13. Łukasz Kalinowski says:

Unfortunately or not i am very conservative in this subject. I don’t like partnerhips, because they deny the nature’s order. I can tolerate homosexual people, i know few of them and I’m fine with it, but their relationship in the meaning of family is really not the right way. Maybe I’m not liberal enough, bou law of nature says that only two different sexes can breed and have offspring. And I’ll mantain this statement.

14. Piotr Śliwiński says:

I want to start with a statement that I don’t have anything against homosexual people. I am only against them adopoting children. I know that kids would have better living standards than in a pathological family but on the other hand our society is still not tolerant about homosexual couples. As for the subject of debate I think that this is an individual decision for everyone. If someone doesn’t want to get married he can choose not to. If both partners agree that they want or not want to marry it is their private decision. Nobody should have the right to decide on this for us.