RSS Feed

Changes in the Tobacco Industry

5

January 15, 2014 by Aleksandra Łuczak

This post has been prepared by Sylwia Grzegorczyk from Kozminski University

From 2016 when the new EU tobacco rules changes will take effect, cigarettes, rolling tobacco and other products will have to carry graphic picture and text warnings covering 65 percent of the front and back of packets. The rules also include a ban on smoking tobacco products containing flavours such as fruit or vanilla. European Union diplomats approved new anti-tobacco legislation on Wednesday, including larger health warnings on cigarette packets and the bloc’s first ever rules on electronic cigarettes.

Menthol cigarettes will be banned four years later, after some governments demanded a slower phase-out.

The deal is now expected to be formally approved by EU ministers and the full parliament before entering force next year.

The main elements of deal on EU tobacco controls are:

1.Health warning

Graphic picture and text warnings will have to cover 65 percent of the front and back of packets of cigarettes and other tobacco products for smoking. Current EU law demonds that written health warnings cover 30 percent of a pack’s front and 40 percent of the back, but pictures are not obligatory. Text warnings will include pharses such as “Smoking kills-quit now” and “Tobacco smoke contains over 70 substances known to cause cancer”. Individual governments will be free to go beyond the minimum requriements and impose a ban on all branding, provided such “plain packing” rules are justified on public health grounds and notified to he European Commission.

2. Flavouring ban

Cigarettes and rolling tobacco containing characterising flavours such as friut or vanilla will be banned from 2016. A ban on menthol flavourings will apply from 2020.

3. Electronic cigarettes

E-cigarettes will be classed as consumer products without the need for prior approval provided they meet a maximum nicotine concetration of 20 miligrams per mililitre (mg/ml).

4. Other restrictions

A ban on misleading terms on cigarettes and other smoking products, such as “organic” or “natural”. Governments can decide individually to ban the online sale of tobacco products across borders.

What do you think about these changes?

Have your say!

5 comments »

1. Affek says:

I think it is a great idea, because it will provide more addicted to cigarettes among young people. With those photos on both sides of the package it will be less attractive for them. Also flavoured cigarettes should be band, because it should not be tasty for anyone. I think that the government should pay more attention to e-cigarettes, because they are not tested enough. They may be dangerous or harmful for the users. Some people thing that e-cigarettes are healthy and safety, but it is not sure. But I do not understand, why the cigarettes can not be described as organic or ecological – in my opinion, it is possible to plant tobacco in the organic way and it is a one step to far in UE legislation.

2. marzena says:

According to me the new regulations firmly strike the Polish economy, because we are the first processors of tobacco in the EU and the largest producer of finished tobacco products. Prohibition of the placing on the market with horns ban on the use of menthol in any form will lead to the elimination of many jobs in the market. Polish market menthol cigarettes is quite significant in relation to the whole EU market, combined with our geographical location make it Polish bear the main costs of the introduction of the ban. In contrast, e-cigarettes have become a means to quit smoking, and not contribute to enlarge the group of smokers. Unfortunately, they are becoming fashionable and this attracts many young people.
    However, the introduction of such changes has its arguments. After all, each year smoking kills many people in Poland and throughout Europe. Taking tobacco is the leading cause of health problems.

3. Martyna P. says:

I think the pictures would not put a lot of people off of the idea of smoking. Neither the colour of the packets could make me start smoking. Teenagers or anyone will start smoking if they want to and stop if they want to. It is people’s personal choice.
    The flavours and words like ‘organic’ may be diversity from plain cigarettes. I’m sure it doesn’t convince people to start smoking. Overall, I think it will help some individuals but definitely not the majority of smokers.

4. ~Karolina says:

I extremely support these changes. A large number of my friends are addicted. They have been smoking during few years. Evidence for the physical harm, and economic costs, of tobacco use keeps growing. Tobacco use is the world’s number one preventable killer. We know this statistically, beyond a shadow of a doubt. In a world undergoing economic upheaval, with populations ageing, chronic diseases on the rise, and medical costs soaring, tackling a huge and entirely preventable cause of disease and death. Anti-tobacco campaigns are out in the open and they are extremely aggressive. The high-profile legal actions targeting Uruguay, Norway, Australia, and Turkey are deliberately designed to instil fear in countries wishing to introduce similarly tough tobacco control measures. It works well because the number of smokers in these countries fell.

5. Magda21701 says:

The new rules are interesting but I don’t thing there are change too much. People who smoke get used to that warning texts. But it is proper move to discourage new people who just started to smoke and thing that is ‘cool’. Nowadays the graphics are much effective because they can show directly results of smoking. As we know new generation, thankful Internet better assimilate images. What’s more the new law could find different solutions of protection before smoking. I think that e-cigarettes should be treated the same way as other tobacco products becouse it is ‘good’ way for begginers to start smoke cigarettes in the future.